Home > United States > Products > Band Instruments > Trombones > 52HL Tenor Trombone

CG Conn Step-Up Model 52HL Tenor Trombone

About the Model 52HL

The story of the Conn trombone ultimately begins in 1875 with the vision and determination of one man: Colonel C.G. Conn. Founding a band instrument manufacturing company in the small town of Elkhart, Indiana, Conn quickly became known for his innovative brass designs and became the largest producer of trombones in the United States and earned the lasting reputation as "America's trombone house." Conn trombones are recognized for their unique tone color and refusal to "break up" even at the most extreme dynamics making it one of the most widely used professional symphonic trombones in the world. Conn trombones, a future as bright as their past.
CG Conn Step-Up Model 52HL Tenor Trombone

The Conn 52HL is a .547" large bore symphonic tenor trombone with F attachment made with an 8-5/8" seamless rose brass bell resulting in a warm, rich colorful sound. The traditional wrap F section promotes clean attacks and stability. The chrome plated nickel silver inner handslide tubes provide the ideal surface for smooth and quick handslide action. The clear lacquer finish provides a subtle warmth to the overall sound. The 52HL is a well designed durable instrument perfect for the students and amateur musicians and is well suited for all types of music. Available in silver-plate finish as model 52HLSP.

Conn "Artist" - .547" bore, 8-5/8" rose brass bell, standard wrap F attachment with standard rotor, clear lacquer finish, Conn 6-1/2AL large shank mouthpiece, 7549C woodshell case.

Leave a Review

Leave a Reply



(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Please type the letters and numbers shown in the image.
Captcha Code

Click the image to see another captcha.




Charles Gerard. Conn was the patriarch of musical instrument manufacturing in Elkhart, Indiana.  In 1873, following a bar fight brawl that resulted in a split lip, C.G. Conn developed a brass mouthpiece with a rubber rim.  Conn, converted an old sewing machine to a lathe and set-up a shop building these mouthpieces.  In 1875, a French instrument maker named Dupont began repairing instruments in Conn’s shop.  After watching him work for a few days, Conn believed he could build his own instrument.  In that same year, Colonel Conn would build the first American made cornet.

Brass_Testing.jpg

By 1879, Conn moved operations into larger quarters and began making other instruments.  In 1880, the town of Elkhart, Indiana became so enamored with C.G. Conn that they elected him Mayor.  During his second term, he was forced to resign due to a factory fire in 1883.  The factory was rebuilt bigger and better and production continued.  By 1893 his instruments were accorded the highest honors in the World’s Columbia Exposition in Chicago. 

The Colonel loved strange and bizarre instruments.  In 1907, he built an immensaphone, the largest horn in the world at 12 feet in diameter and 35 feet long.  Conn also continued on a series of “firsts”, building the first American made saxophone and the first sousaphone, built to John Philip Sousa’s specifications. 

In 1915 Conn retired and the company was purchased by Carl Grenleaf.  The business was renamed C.G. Conn Ltd.  During this era, Carl Greenleaf began the National School Band Movement.  In 1923, Greenleaf established the first National Band Contest in Chicago, and the Conn National School of Music in Chicago.  In 1928, he supported the National Music Camp at Interlochen, Michigan. 

The company flourished until the Second World War.  In 1942, the factory retooled to manufacture compasses, altimeters, and other items related to the war effort.  During this time, many of Conn’s dealers turned to smaller instrument makers who were allowed to manufacture instruments on a limited basis.  Coming out of wartime production, Conn found difficulty regaining its position as the number one band instrument maker. 

In 1969, the Greenleaf family sold the business to Crowell-Collier MacMillan, a publishing company.  Manufacturing of Conn instruments was split between Nogales, Arizona and Abilene, Texas and the Elkhart factory was sold to the Selmer Company.

In the 80’s through a series of mergers, C.G. Conn Ltd was combined with Slingerland Drum Company, Artley, Scherl & Roth, and several other musical instrument manufacturers and distributors to eventually form United Musical Instruments (UMI).

Locate a Store Nearest You

Enter a city, state, postal code or country 





Copyright 2014 Conn-Selmer, Inc.
Home | United States